Monday, January 21, 2008

Spending Time

Time. It's one of those things we either don't have enough of or have too much of, but no matter which category you fall into, time keeps right on passing by. One of the things I love to do with my "spare" time is to read. I've been visiting the library (and the bookstore) and here's what I've read in the past month or so:


  • The Golden Compass: if you're a fantasy fan, you'll probably like this one (I haven't seen the movie yet, so can't compare

  • Three Bags Full: a whodunit in which a flock of sheep try to solve the murder of their shepherd

  • Still Life with Elephant: I guess you'd call this a romantic comedy--a woman who tends to "mishear" things discovers that her husband has had an affair and decides to go on an expedition to Africa to save an elephant, all with the idea of winning him back

  • Whitewash: a political/environmental thriller

  • Light on Snow: a father and daughter discover an abandoned baby left to die in the snow

  • Luncheon of the Boating Party: an account of the creation of Auguste Renoir's painting of the same name

If I'm reading a nonfiction book, I'll often read several fiction books at the same time. Right now, I'm reading both The Omnivore's Dilemma and Animal, Vegetable, Miracle. To lighten that intellectual load a bit, I am also reading Coastliners, to be followed by Son of a Witch. I am a big fan of Joanne Harris (Chocolat and Five Quarters of the Orange) and so hope this current novel lives up to my expectations. As for Gregory Maguire, I don't think any of his subsequent novels topped Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister but I've enjoyed them all anyway. I also have Stephen R. Donaldson waiting in the wings, though I find the latest series a bit frustrating because I read the original so long ago that I have a hard time remembering the story!


Today I also tried out Becca's lamb and apple stew recipe. I found it quite tasty, despite the fact that I had to improvise a few ingredients. It turns out Jimmy's not real fond of cloves, so he wasn't as enthusiastic about it as I was. Oh well, more for me to eat!


Laura called this morning and made a comment about really wanting to go to the Derek Scrimgeour clinic at Carol Campion's in Connecticut. If she was hoping I'd talk some sense in to her, she was way, way wrong. Now we're both going (it's not till late October), and we've talked our friend Robin in to going too! It will be fun to see just how many dogs we can squeeze into Robin's van for the 10-hour trip up there, but any expedition is more fun when you're traveling with friends. I could enter only one dog, and I'm not sure which of my youngsters would benefit the most, so I plan to wait until closer to the time and see who has the greatest need (which could translate into the dog I've screwed up the most!).



1 comment:

~~Sittin.n.Spinnin said...

I am trying a new kind of novel; normally I read Terry Brooks, Margret Weis... adventure fantasy mostly, although I have lately read a lot of James Rollins and Douglas Preston. I started reading a book by Ken Follett last night, called 'The Pillars of the Earth', I'm not sure yet what genre it is, its a bit convoluted lol
I am in hiatus waiting for Terry Brooks’ new novel, 'The Elves of Cintra' to come out in paper back.