Thursday, February 28, 2008

Finally, another ewe lamb

I got back from taking the dogs for their morning walk and saw three sheep down in the woods so I went to check on them. They all came out and headed back toward the main flock, but I was rather suspicious of Beauty. Sure enough, when I checked about an hour later, Beauty was at the back of the pasture with a little lamb. I put the lamb in a sling and brought them across the pasture, through the flock (where the aroused great interest among last year's ewe lambs) and up to a jug in the barn. It's awful cold and windy out--I may end up having to put a sweater on this little one. Here are some not so great photos of the newest addition to the flock. Check out her awesome little Persian lamb pelt. She's definitely a keeper!



3 comments:

~~Sittin.n.Spinnin said...

I have been trying to decide on another breed of sheep to raise, you have got me seriously thinking about these guys; they are a lot like tunis actually, with their ancient history and their broad tails, not to mention their resistance to parasites...

Julie said...

Becky,
If you'd like to do conservation and are interested in a carpet wool breed, I'd suggest the Navajo churro. They were actually my first choice, but I happened to get tunis first, then karakuls. Out your way, churros ought to be fairly easy to find, and at one time the government was helping folks with starter flocks to help conserve the breed. (I don't know if the gov't is still doing that, but had I lived in Navajo country I certainly would have pursued it!)

http://www.navajo-churrosheep.com/sheep.html

Anonymous said...

What a cutie. Too bad I had to miss the great procession. I have to say that the karakul lambs really are lovely - and just seem to have a lot of character.

- Laura