Saturday, February 16, 2008

Getting Close!

Today we spent the day making wooden panels for lambing jugs. Jimmy broke his finger yesterday while loading logs on a trailer with his cousin Josh, so he was relegated to the saw, while Mary, Tony, and I did the drilling. It didn't take too long to make 16 five-foot panels, 40" tall, with all of us working as a team.

Tomorrow early we'll head up to Mary and Tony's for the new pasture (well soon to be pasture) rock and stick clearing operation. We have a couple of FFA kids coming, and Laura too, and hope that we'll be able to finish it tomorrow. Jimmy will have to drive the tractor since he can't really pick up rocks and sticks with a broken finger and stitches in that finger and another. (What a mess!)

Once we're done there, Laura and I will retag the ewes who are missing theirs so that when they lamb I can keep accurate records (especially of which lamb belongs to which ewe!). We'll set up the jugs in the stalls in the barn if we have time. If not, I'll try to get to that early in the week. Lambs could start coming by Friday, and I have quite a few ewes who are already well bagged up, so we're counting the days now. Jimmy has been reading up on lambing (he was raised on a farm, but never had sheep) so he can be ready to help if needed. I'm hoping my luck holds out and I have another trouble-free lambing year.

The anticipation is getting to me now. This is such an exciting time of the year. I can't wait to have a bunch of lambs racing around the pasture and just being adorable!

1 comment:

~~Sittin.n.Spinnin said...

I spend the weekend working on jugs in the garage, almost done! I am totally with you on the anticipation! 26 days to ...well to 5 months since breeding lol