Thursday, February 21, 2008

Jugs Ready, Now Hurry Up! Sheep...

Yesterday evening we finally finished the jugs. I have six ready to go, three in each stall. We decided last night that we really needed an extra horizontal board on each panel (Lark who is roughly the same size as a lamb, could go through the larger space we'd left), so Jimmy ripped those out and we added them on (he cut extra to take to Tony as well, since if our panels would allow escapees, theirs would too). Now I think all panels are lamb (and ewe) proof. Six jugs should be enough, but if not, I can always move Josias and Fido out of their paddock and into a different one so we can use their stall for extra space if needed. We're right on the edge of some winter weather tonight, so it wouldn't surprise me if we got a few lambs by tomorrow morning--although they all ate like pigs at the bunks this morning. I'm planning to move the ewes who have really bagged up into the paddock with the stalls and lambing jugs this afternoon so they can find shelter in the barn if the bad weather (namely freezing rain) hits us (the main pasture uses only trees and the "lay of the land" as shelter from bad weather).

We won't use heat lamps in the barn. I used them the first year and it scared me to death, even though we hung then high to avoid contact with either sheep or straw. I guess the most recent reports of barn fires convinced me to give them up altogether. If someone needs warming, I'll use a heating pad or a warming box, but I'm really hoping I don't have to resort to any of the above!

I really need to get some pictures up--maybe I'll have time this weekend to do that.

3 comments:

~~Sittin.n.Spinnin said...

Jeez! I hang around, waiting for a new post, and what do I get? No pictures! lol yes we need pictures, I am a very visual kinda person :)
So you are expecting tomorrow? Lucky you, I have 23 days to wait lol

Julie said...

If you knew what I went through to even write that post--in the middle of last-minute edits and changes to a magazine that should have been at the printer yesterday!

Tomorrow is our earliest due date (if you count gestation at 145 days after the first day the ram went in--and he was doing his thing the first day, so there is hope!

Once it stops raining tomorrow I promise I'll take the camera out and get some pictures....

~~Sittin.n.Spinnin said...

lol pictures are required as soon as you have babies! I am living vicariously through you until next month!