Monday, March 24, 2008

Yes, the folks and critters at Willow's Rest are still alive and kickin'!

Wow, I can't believe how long it's been since my last entry. Work's been crazy and farm chores on top of that have kept me busy. We're up to 23 lambs now, with a few ewes still to go. Some that should be preggers don't look it, so it may be that we have fewer lambs left than we might have.

I spent Saturday clearing out the raised lettuce bed and planting lettuce and spinach (okay, it didn't take all day, but for the life of me I can't remember what I did in the morning--probably just took time feeding all the critters). I also put a partial fence around the flower bed next to the porch steps in an attempt to keep the dogs from tromping through. So far they're still tromping--they get to the fence, then figure out they need to go around and so go around inside the flowerbed instead of on the outside. Grrrrr.... I may have to fence the whole thing after all. I'm waiting to do more planting in that bed until I see if they figure out that cutting through gets them nowhere. They're border collies--they ought to be able to figure it out quickly. Ha!

My new LGD, a maremma named Maia (after the Roman goddess of spring, since coming here is something of a rebirth for Maia) arrived today. I will post her story and pictures tomorrow, along with some photos of Farleigh sporting his new 'do (or lack thereof!).

I've been letting the ewes and lambs graze the winter wheat in the unfenced pasture. The lambs of course have a blast running all over the place, climbing on the cedar logs Jimmy and Josh have cut for fenceposts, and just loving life!

That's all for now--I need to get my beauty sleep! (Especially since we have another karakul ewe who might lamb tonight. I plan to tell Jimmy that this would be a good night for him to fall asleep in his chair in front of the TV and wake up around 2:30 or 3, because then he can do the ewe check while I keep sleeping!).

Good night!

2 comments:

~~Sittin.n.Spinnin said...

Glad to know you are still amoung us :)

I dont think dogs really appreciate flowers or the work we put into them; Zip thinks I water that patch of ground so he has a nice cool place to lay when its hot out.

Julie said...

Your're right about the flowers. Now instead of taking the shortcut through the flower bed, they just meander around inside it....