Sunday, November 30, 2008

The Secret Life of Bees

I could have done all sorts of useful things today, including catching up on work for my paid job, but there's something about grey, rainy weather that just makes me want to lose myself in another world, and so about mid-morning I decided to go to a matinee. I don't often go to movies because I think they are overpriced, and I'm not so in need of instant gratification that I can't wait till it comes out on DVD and I can watch it at home nearly for free from Netflix. But today just seemed like a movie kind of day. Darci recommended Twilight, which she and her son had just seen, and someone else mentioned that they thought Australia would be good and that it had gotten good reviews, but the movie that drew me was The Secret Life of Bees. I had read the book, by Sue Monk Kidd, some time ago and had loved it. Sometimes loving a book will set you up for disappointment when it's finally interpreted as a movie, but that wasn't the case today.

I picked a great time to go--most people were out Christmas shopping and it was early, so the theater was pretty empty. I won't give away the story if you've not read the book or seen the movie, but I will say that you won't be able to help but cry (even the men in the audience were sniffling). It's a lovely story, beautifully retold for the big screen. But even the sorrow you'll feel won't dampen the ultimate triumph of this story. It's not a blockbuster, but it's a lovely little uplifting tale, and well worth the watching. If you get a chance, go see it. Better yet, read the book first.

2 comments:

Robin French said...

Glad it ended up being a good movie, what with the nasty weather you had to get through. It sure was icky out. I just finished watching "August Rush", what a good movie too!

Julie said...

I think August Rush is on my Netflix list--if I ever get through all the seasons of SATC.
;-)