Thursday, January 1, 2009

Good Bye Sweet Boy



You were born in a groundhog hole in my mom's back pasture nearly 16 years ago, a surprise Siamese in a feral cat population. I really wanted just one kitten at that time, but both my mom and my then-husband insisted that we couldn't separate you and your sister, so both of you came home with me. My husband dubbed you Elvis, for your blue eyes and in a nod to a conversation I had with friends about names you'd give your pets but not your children.

Since you came into my life, I have lost things, like my marriage and my parents, and have moved away from my home of more than 30 years. Just this spring, we lost your silly "brother" Si, who also got his start in the back pasture at mom's. You saw me through many changes--big and small--and were always a sweet, funny, loving companion--a bed and lap warmer even at the end. As I write you this inadequate tribute, your sister Chili is sitting in my lap, purring and trying to offer some small comfort. My only wish is that I could have offered you more comfort in the end and a more peaceful exit from this earth than the one you had to endure. I love you Elvis and I had hoped to spend more time with you. I can still hope to see you again in the hereafter.

14 comments:

Cowgirl said...

I have visited your blog only a few times but today I know your pain at losing your boy. My girl died on Tuesday, 30December. I am inconsolable as I imagine you are too. Bless their hearts.

Allie Oop said...

Julie, I'm sorry about the loss of your beloved Elvis. I'll light an extra luminaria on my porch steps tonight in his memory -- we burn lighted candles on New Years Day in memory of those who were loved and lost by us,our friends and family during the previous year.

It's always so hard to lose members of your family, but Elvis sounds like he had a long and wonderful life.

Best wishes,

Deb (aka Allie Oop)

Rebecca and Molly the Border Collie said...

I am so very very sorry for your loss.

You did the best you could for him. That is clear. He must know that you tried and that you loved him.

Darci said...

You have my sincere and heart felt condolences Julie. That lovly tribute to Elvis brought tears to my eyes. He will be missed. Im glad I got to know him and enjoy his attentions that he lavished on me the last time he and I were together on the couch at your place. I will always have those fond memories, those gitfs of moments he gave of himself...

Anonymous said...

Julie,

I'm so sorry to hear about Elvis. It sounds like he had a great life.

I lost my cat, Alex, at 18 yo a few years ago and for the first time in my life, I'm now catless.

There's something special a kitty adds to a home. I miss that. I'm glad youu still have one.

Denise

Samantha ~ Holly and Zac ~ said...

I am very sorry for your loss Julie.

Elvis sound like he was a very special boy who was obviously loved very much.

That was a lovely tribute to him.

DeltaBluez Tess said...

We are so sorry to hear about your loss. Elvis was loved by you and he knew it!!

MaskedMan said...

You loved him well, and he lived far longer than a feral-born might hope. Take comfort in having given him the best you had; He'll remain in your heart forever.

Debbie P said...

Just reading this and I'm in tears for you. It's so hard to lose a beloved pet. I know and he knows, he was loved and had a wonderful life with you.
take care,
deb

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry. I really am.

Paige

Paula said...

Julie, I'm so very sorry for your loss. Elvis was beautiful.

Teri said...

I came upon your page by way of Vet on the Edge. When I read of Elvis, his life with you, I wanted to send my sympathy and to send you this link to a tribute to my special catboy, in hopes that reading this poem I found with help you through your grieving.

http://furrydancecats.blogspot.com/2009/01/caturday-saturday.html

I will return to your blog and enjoy my visits, I am certain.

Teri and the cats of Furrydance

Tonya Fouch- Ben said...

Julie,

Sorry about your loss. We just lost our standard poodle on new years day.

Anonymous said...

Julie - I'm so far behind and I'm so sorry that I didn't see this sooner! I'm sorry to hear about Elvis, last we spoke I knew he was not doing well.

You are so good to your crew and Elvis was lucky to have you...and you him!

Rachel