Friday, August 14, 2009

What Could Be Cuter?

If you're wondering where I've been hiding, I've been in the "whelping room" (aka "the dog room," also known as the computer room) playing with these little dolls:

Our long awaited Chris x Zac litter arrived, but there were just three little bundles of joy (um, using that term loosely, as they are very vocal and not the least bit afraid of complaining--at all hours of the day or night). They were born July 31. The pictures below were taken over several days this past week.

This is the little female, whom Robin has dubbed Moon.


This is the little firstborn male, who apparently prefers to sleep the same way his mama does.



And this little guy apparently doesn't have a care in the world. What else but a carefree puppy could fall asleep in the bowl he's being weighed in? (These two photos are backward, but for some reason Blogger won't let me drag them to switch them.)

The pups are two weeks old today. One opened its eyes this morning, and the other two look pretty close to doing so as well.

They're so young that we're still in the easy part of raising them--in another couple of weeks, they'll be working me to death, no doubt.

Aside from having puppies, things have been fairly quiet around here. I have more chicks hatched out (always OEG bantams), and the garden has pretty much dried up and blown away. We've had storms come through on numerous occasions, but they never seem to drop much in the way of rain--more just scare the dogs, who in turn keep me awake at night. Sleep deprivation is becoming a way of life.

On the livestock front, I will be getting three more mule sheep at the end of the month, this time Scotch mules out of West Virginia. So far this summer the NCC and Clun mules have done better than I expected--staying fat on what pasture I have and not requiring anything extra in the way of parasite control. I am going to slowly switch the flock over to mules and just keep a small core group of karakul and tunis sheep (I'm using the tunis to make tunis mules as well). I'm curious to see the tunis mule lambs, which should arrive sometime in October. The yearling mules will all be crossed with my dorset ram to produce market lambs. I won't have many this spring because I don't have many mules, but it's a start.

I need to get hay. I've been putting it off thinking I might find a job somewhere and not wanting to have to move a bunch of stuff like that, but if I don't go on and do it, I might not be able to get what I need.

So aside from a little freelance work and job hunting, that's what's going on here at Willow's Rest. Lazy dog days of summer, literally.



3 comments:

Teri and the cats of Furrydance said...

Awwww...puppy breath! I wonder why kittens don't have the same sweet "kitten breath"?

Rachel said...

Love the puppies!!!

What are mule sheep? I think I'll go look it up.

Maybe next spring I'll make a trip with Gwyn...she would love to see lambs!

~~Sittin.n.Spinnin said...

I want that third one! He seems to go at about my speed! :)