Monday, August 17, 2009

Old Songs

So last week I was pestering everybody I know with Cat Stevens' Moonshadow. I couldn't get it out of my mind, thanks to Robin calling the one puppy Moon, and was singing it everywhere I went and no matter what I was doing. But shortly thereafter, another song from that era wormed its way into my head. Sing it out, but you have to do the Peter, Paul, and Mary version!

=============================================

Lemon Tree

When I was just a lad of ten, my father said to me,
Come here and learn a lesson from the lovely lemon tree.
Dont put your faith in love, my boy, my father said to me,
I fear you'll find that love is like the lovely lemon tree.

Lemon tree very pretty and the lemon flower is sweet
But the fruit of the poor lemon is impossible to eat.
Lemon tree very pretty and the lemon flower is sweet
But the fruit of the poor lemon is impossible to eat.

Beneath the lemon tree one day, my love and I did a lie
A girl so sweet that when she smiled the sun rose in the sky.
We passed that summer lost in love beneath the lemon tree
The music of her laughter hid my father's words from me:

Lemon tree very pretty and the lemon flower is sweet
But the fruit of the poor lemon is impossible to eat.
Lemon tree very pretty and the lemon flower is sweet
But the fruit of the poor lemon is impossible to eat.

One day she left without a word. She took away the sun.
And in the dark she left behind, I knew what she had done.
She'd left me for another; it's a common tale, but true.
A sadder man but wiser now I sing these words to you:

Lemon tree very pretty and the lemon flower is sweet
But the fruit of the poor lemon is impossible to eat.
Lemon tree very pretty and the lemon flower is sweet
But the fruit of the poor lemon is impossible to eat.

Someone save me from the songs of my childhood! ;-)

6 comments:

Michelle said...

I LOVE the song Moonshadow, but don't know Lemon Tree.

Barbara said...

Two words:

George Costanza.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tl71BHzwWCA

Julie Poudrier said...

Michelle, Google it and find the Peter, Paul and Mary version--it's bittersweet.

Barbara,
Funny! I am probably the only person on the planet who has never watched a Seinfeld episode....

Barbara said...

Oh, rats, that episode was a classic.

~~Sittin.n.Spinnin said...

I feel your pain; every day I wake up with a different song playing in my head, and I always stop and think 'now where did that come from?'

Darci said...

yer dating yerself there girl! I remember Lemon Tree! Cute song and a catchy little tune! lol