Thursday, November 3, 2011

Time for Another TMT, or I Haven't Been MIA, Really

It's been a while! I missed a couple because I had to head out on Thursdays to set sheep for the Lexington SDT and then the Water Cress SDT. If you gotta miss TMT, doing it for a sheepdog trial, even if not competing, is about a good a reason as you can have!

Kestrel stayed home with Laura (who was kindly farmsitting) for Lexington, but I took her along to Tennessee and she had a grand time playing at the top with two great puppy sitters, AKA pen workers!


Otherwise, I'm just plugging along here. I need to go get the ewes from the top pasture and bring them down to the rams, but have been too trifling to do that yet. But I will make the time for Tell Me Thursday, lol!



1. What are you thankful for this week?

I am thankful that I spent years in a career that lends itself to freelancing. In this economy it has meant the difference between sinking and swimming (or at least floundering along).

I am also thankful to be alive. That probably sums it up.

2. How do you deal with a squeaker/shrieker/noisy dog?


I kill it. Oh, not an option? Well, let's see. In the case of friends' squeaker/shrieker/noisy dogs, I move them into my bedroom at night, which seems to solve the problem. I've gone so far as to put a dog in a crate in the van, but if the weather is suitable for that, then invariably my windows are open, so I still end up hearing it. I wish I could learn to tune it out like I have learned to do (mostly) with the guard dogs, but all I can say is that I am THANKFUL not to have a squeaker/shrieker/noisy dog!

3. Barbara wants to know: what would you say is ONE skill or attribute needed to be successful?

Perseverance. Luck helps too, of course, but that would be two, so I'll stick with perserverance. The common theme that seems to run among those who are successful is that they KEPT TRYING, no matter who are what seemed to be barriers to what they wanted to do. Of course, I think it also helps to know when to say when, but if you are not willing to persevere in the first place, you'll never accomplish anything.

4. Pippin wants to know: what are your favorite games?
Kestrel asked if she could be a guest blogger to answer this question. I said sure.

Kestrel: "The bestest game in the world is the one mom calls "Remora." It's where I hang on Ranger's mane and try to stay attached no matter what he's doing, even if he's flanking around sheep. It's really fun. Kind of like the carnival rides mom says make her want to hurl. Oh, and I get to practice spitting out hair whenever I do finally let go. My second favorite game is racing after the big dogs telling them off. My mom calls it yapping like a damned fool. Is that a compliment?"

5. What are some of your strategies for dealing with winter?

Make like a bear and put on an extra layer of fat to see me through. Oh, I guess I already did that, or forgot to take it off after LAST winter. I'd say that my strategy would be never to set foot outside except under great duress, but in truth, my real strategy is to save money on heat by keeping the thermostat really low. It means I'm well acclimated to the low temperatures and in fact often can't tell the difference between outside and in. Every night is a three (or more) dog night. Acclimation, baby!

4 comments:

Laura Carson said...

Clearly Linc and I are never going to live down that one squeakilicious visit to Auntie Julio's. LOL!

AMEN to perseverance. That was a tough one for me - toss up btw that and determination.

I just heard that Duke Power is possibly upping rates here by 20%. Dogs and I are acclimating at my house too. :(

Anonymous said...

I've been paying attention to the Duke rate hike since Duke and Progress Energy are supposed to be merging. Seriously, that it going to make it impossible for a lot of people barely making it now. :-( Thank goodness I have a wood stove, but then I can spend my time worrying about burning this place down.

J.

Laura Carson said...

I don't think the rate hike has been approved. Sometimes it's hard to wade through all of the information, but my understanding is that it is not a done deal yet. Duke just raised rates this year.

Sunil said...

I found my way to your blog from reading your very insightful posts on BC Boards. Your blog (and posts) are fun to read, and I love the Thursday questions!

We have a little 7 month old BC and are enjoying her very much.

Thanks for writing.