Thursday, January 19, 2012

If it's Thursday, it must be time to reveal a little more about ourselves.



1. What is one lesson you've learned this week?

Hmmmm...that's a tough one. I know it all already, lol! Maybe that some times you just have to pay the late fine if you want to finish the book....

2. Who or what might you have been in another life? What might you be in a next life?

Where do you come up with these? I hope I was a good person in a past life and that I'll be an even better person in a future life. I could think of animals I might have been, but given how many animals are treated, I'd rather not go there.

3. What unusual things do you like the smell of but don't usually admit?

I don't know that I wouldn't admit it, but I love the smell of a pipe. And I actually like the smell of coffee, although I can't stand the taste, or the smell it leaves on someone else's breath. I kind of like the smell of bleach, and a sweaty horse's body, or really any smells around a stable. As I was staking cut wood last night I realized that I should have included the smell of freshly turned earth and the smell of freshly cut wood.

4. What are your thoughts on continuing on vs. retiring when a trial run is going badly? How do you decide? Where do you draw the line?

I probably tend to retire sooner rather than later with a young dog. It's too easy for them to learn bad habits if you let them just keep floundering. I set sheep a lot and I have to say that I see a lot of cringeworthy runs that people just let happen. You know, if the dog is blowing you off at a distance, it doesn't make sense to think "Oh well, he'll listen when he gets closer." You're just reinforcing the bad behavior. With an open dog, if the run isn't a complete disaster, and assuming the trial host isn't pressed for time, I might continue longer. There usually the real problem is time, and if it looks like I'm not going to, say, complete the drive, I might retire, but if it looks like I could make it to the shedding ring, I'll keep going. Then again, the open dog isn't learning bad habits (necessarily) if I let it keep going a bit longer.

5. This is a call for questions or subjects you'd like to talk about - I'd appreciate suggestions (and please come link up so that I'll be sure to see your post), so here's your chance!

I'd like to see people's tips on living frugally and sustainably. I know there are websites for this, but I'm still interested in the ideas my friends have found useful about ways to save money or the environment.

I'm sure there are other things I'd like to know, but I'm a bit brain dead at the moment....

2 comments:

Doniene said...

Thanks Julie for the input on continuing/retiring. I'm a new handler and any info I get is very beneficial. Have a great day!

Laura Carson said...

I don't know where I come up with these questions. Sometimes they just come to me. LOL! They're usually little bits of the random internal dialogue that I have going on when I'm typing up the post.

I too love the smell of a pipe, and particularly horses and stables!! I miss that.