Thursday, January 5, 2012

TMT, New Year's Edition



1. What is your favorite new toy? I know you have one, so you might as well go on and fess up.

Actually I don't have one. That is the life of a living-constantly-on-the-edge freelancer. I did buy a cast iron Dutch over a month or so ago so I could try the no-knead bread recipes in the book my sister sent me, but admit that I haven't made any yet. My cell phone has stopped charging properly, so maybe I will finally step into the realm of cell phones that allow you to check e-mail and post to Facebook, but only if Verizon gives me one for free.

2. If you're going to be caught under the mistletoe, who would you LEAST like it to be with?

Well, I don't really have an answer for this. I don't do a lot for Christmas, so mistletoe really isn't something that crosses my mind--it's certainly not something I'd have much opportunity to stand under and then worry about who I wouldn't want to kiss....

3. New Year's Resolutions - for your dogs - share!


Very basic resolutions here.
* Get them sound and keep them sound.
* Start Kestrel in training in another month or so (once *she* stops limping).
* Keep working toward soundness for Pip. I'll need him big time come May. So not only do I need to get him sound, I also need to get him fit. The Bluegrass is four 12+ hour days, and he's the best dog for the job.
* Work Phoebe and Lark more so they can be backup set out dogs.
* If the dogs stay sound, and if I can inch my financial situation from precarious to a bit more secure, then perhaps in the fall I could even go to a trial or two.

4. New Year's Resolutions - for yourself - share!

* Exercise more.
* Find additional freelance clients, preferably ones who pay well.
* Alternatively to the above, finally find someone who wants to hire me full time or even part time to write or edit (just knowing I have X $$ coming in each month would be nice).
* Develop some sort of social life up here. It's nearly my year anniversary in the new place and I spend most of my time right here on the farm. I don't even leave the house to go to work.
* Learn to meditate. I think it would help me manage stress and maybe even stress eating. I could use a little centering.
* Have a garden that actually grows veggies that I can then put by for the winter.
* Related to the above, continue to work to improve the soil (using the term loosely) in the garden area.
* Write more, and keep up with my blog better. The two sort of go hand-in-hand, though I might try doing some personal writing on the side as well, and I need to push my cousin to get her family research down on figurative paper (told her I'd help with that).
* Try to enjoy life more and banish the melancholy.

5. How did you handle the holiday food situation?

That was relatively easy. I didn't have any big parties to go to, nor did I have a bunch of family gatherings. Instead I worked over the holidays. One neighbor sent me a Christmas meal, and I went to my elderly aunt's on Christmas day, so although I had good food, I just didn't have any real opportunities do gorge. If you don't count the apple bread one neighbor sent me, and the cranberry orange bread and lemon poppyseed bread another sent my way. Oh and the eggnog spiked with bourbon (I know it's been decades since I had any of that!). Okay, so maybe there were some excesses, but certainly not as excessive as they could have been! And seriously, as someone who basically lives on homemade soups in the crock pot, eating someone else's cooking was the best treat of the holiday season!

2 comments:

Kelly said...

I wish you weren't so far away from me now...I would come be part of your social life :)

Laura Carson said...

Yea, me and Kelly both. I've had to rebuild my social life quite a bit since you moved. ;)

Those are excellent goals. It is good to have them, even when you don't feel like it.

By the way - check and see if you're up for the new every two thing with Verizon.