Thursday, February 9, 2012

More questions answered, and no brain explosions....

Yep, it's that time of the week again!



1. Robin wants to know what your ideal number of dogs is?

Fewer than I have. Probably five or six, maybe seven. But then again I'm not the type of person who can pass a dog along, so my numbers tend to grow, especially at the geriatric end of things. It was the same way when all I had was cats. I'd have an ideal number, one would pass, and two or three more would come along to fill the void. I expect that in the next two or three years I will be down by three, and then my numbers will be more manageable. Well, unless some perfect pup comes along in the meantime.... Still seven is what fits most easily in the van.

2. Lora wants to know if you find that your dogs are better or worse after time off from training?

In general, I'd say better, especially for the trained dogs. Of course some sloppiness can sometimes creep in, but since I don't like drilling, I think we're all happier with time off. I know the sheep are.

3. What is your favorite power tool? What power tool do you wish you had?

I have just one power tool, a cordless drill, and I have that only because I lost my lovely old yankee drill. If I had more than one I might have a favorite. I'm not really acquisitive of power tools, but if there was one thing I thought might be really useful (potentially), it would be a sawzall. Don't even ask why. You don't want to know.

4. What did you want to be when you grew up?

When I was really little, like 5 or 6, I wanted to be a jockey. But at that age I was small and fearless. Once I was a little older, I wanted to be a vet, specifically an equine vet and more specifically perhaps a racetrack vet, and in fact followed that dream all the way through college (hence the dual major in biology and chemistry) and into the obligatory work situation with a vet. Then my health interfered with that plan and it was by sheer luck I suppose that I ended up as a science writer. I still regret not taking the chance and going ahead to vet school anyway, but the career change did lead me in some very interesting directions and allowed me to travel to places I'd never have managed to see otherwise. But occasionally I still ponder the "what ifs."

5. How many of your friends are not "dog people"?

I don't really know, probably most of them are, to one degree or another. Or if not dog people, then certainly horse, cat, or other animal people. In other words, most of my friends are animal lovers, even those who became my friends for other reasons (school, neighbors, etc.).

Well, that was an easy one!

2 comments:

Doniene said...

It is amazing that many of us doing TMT wanted to be vets - small world. Have a great week!

Laura Carson said...

See how nice I was to you all this week? It's like interval training for your blog. :)