Sunday, March 25, 2012

TMT is alive and kicking!

But I'm very late. Oh well, I can still play along!



And this week's questions:

1. Where were you born? Did you grow up there?
2. How did you come to end up living where you are now?
3. What is the most unusual trick you have taught your dog? Or the most unusual animal you have taught tricks?
4. What is the most unusual food you enjoy?
5. I know this has been asked before, but I'm always looking for a great book to read so what was the last book you read? Did you like it? Would you recommend it?

So here we go!
1. Where were you born? Did you grow up there?

I was born and raised in a little place called Fairview Beach in King George County, VA. Fairview Beach is along the Potomac River, and King George is east of Fredericksburg. After graduating college I lived in Frederciksburg for probably 15 years, so I stayed close to home for a good part of my adult life.

2. How did you come to end up living where you are now?

That's a bit of a long and convoluted story, but I left Fredericksburg for northeastern North Carolina the year after my mother died (so this would be 1999). I had a sister living in that general area and I needed to get away from where I was. I worked in that area and in Hampton Roads, VA for a few years, then in 2005 took a job in Durham and moved to the central part of the state. I have lived in several locations since then, and although I'd like to move back to VA, somehow I seem to be stuck in NC.

3. What is the most unusual trick you have taught your dog? Or the most unusual animal you have taught tricks?

I can't claim to have taught any of my animals any tricks that would be considered especially special....

4. What is the most unusual food you enjoy?

That's a tough one. I like a lot of different cuisines and I'm always open to trying new things. Around here, that's a bit tough--if I want something interesting, I have to drive to the Triangle area, which I don't often do.

5. I know this has been asked before, but I'm always looking for a great book to read so what was the last book you read? Did you like it? Would you recommend it?

Now this is one I can answer. I recently read Jennifer Nivens' Velva Jean Learns to Drive and Velva Jean Learns to Fly and enjoyed them both immensely. Velva Jean is from the North Carolina mountains, so the nearby locale of the story also gave added interest. Before those it was Definitely Not Mr. Darcy. I don't remember the author right off the top of my head, but it was a FUN read, and if you're at all a Jane Austen fan, you'll probably like it. Let's see, I just finished The Sixth Extinction. The story was intersting, but the writing was a bit florid for my taste, almost like the author was trying too hard to be descriptive. But although the writing style annoyed me at times, the story was still good. And the book I just finished is Restoration, by Olaf Olafsson. It's the story of two women in Italy during WWII. Both are ex-pats, one an English society woman who has given that life up to restore a crumbling villa with her Italian husband, the other an Icelandic artist who finds her greatest skill is restoring old masterpieces. The come together after Rome is taken by the Allies and Kristin, the restorer appears at Alice's doorstep. As they face the retreating German army, they both have secrets they wrestle with--secrets that could change their fates and those of the people who have come to depend on them. I would definitely recommend this book. In fact, if I had to recommend just one of these books, it would be Restoration (okay, and Definitely Not Mr. Darcy if you want a lighthearted read). I've just started The Cat's Table, by Michael Ondaatje (author of The English Patient and Anil's Ghost). It's too early to say much, but I've been drawn right in, and that's a good sign! Okay, I'll stop now. I admit, for me books are like crack.

Thanks for taking over TMT Jaenne!

1 comment:

Jaenne' said...

Thanks for playing! I love books too! I'm always looking for books to get me to branch out than my usual reading.